Saturday, January 23, 2010

Yam Fries..

Typically, after the week at work, I will feel one of two ways about cooking dinner that night.. Either I need something that can go from fridge to table in the shortest time possible... or, I need to lose myself in the prepping and stirring and anticipation of a carefully prepared meal.

This Friday was the former... I did not want to labour in the kitchen but, rather, wanted something quick and easy. So, I opted to marry the sticky mustard chicken with yam fries... something simple and snackable but not labour intensive.

You can adjust the proportions depending on how many you need to feed... or how hungry you feel.



Ingredients:
- 2 medium sized yams, washed (and peeled, if necessary)*
* I'm not a fan of peeling root vegetables.. For me, it feels as though I'm peeling off everything that is good about the vegetable.. all the vitamins and fiber and interest. It seems irrelevant to me whether or not that is actually true because I have convinced myself, so completely, that it is. haha.
- 1 tablespoon of oil (I like this olive-canola blend.. heats better than olive oil but keeps the flavour.)
- Salt and pepper
- Chili powder (I use an ancho chili powder.. just a bit more interesting.)

Preheat oven to 425 F.

You expend the most effort in this recipe in chopping up the yams. I like 1/2 - 3/4 cm spears... but if you'd prefer wedges, go for it. You'll have to increase the cooking time slightly for the larger pieces but it's not too tough to gauge.

Put the prepped yams into a bowl. Drizzle with the oil and sprinkle with the salt, pepper and chili powder. Toss or stir to coat. Spread the fries in one even layer on a baking sheet.. the fries from one yam fill one baking sheet.

Put the baking sheet(s) in the oven and immediately reduce the heat to 350 F. The high heat gives the fries a good flash and crispness but maintaining that heat would burn the fries before the inside is tender.

While baking, you can mix sour cream, salt, pepper and chili powder together for a cool dip. Bake for 30 minutes or until tender.

4 thought(s):

bri said...

yam fries are my favorite thing in the whole entire world!!!

wannafoodie said...

@bri hahahah. They are fantastic. In fact, I'm craving some right now..

Unknown said...

Question - if you have a foodie and even more importantly a well known blogger on food what do you serve to impress?

wannafoodie said...

@Jocelyne Well, I would say... you should cook something that you enjoy cooking and, more importantly, enjoy eating! It shouldn't be something that stresses you out. That said, I will also say that I'm sure that said foodie/blogger will enjoy whatever it is that you chose to make! :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails