Thursday, April 8, 2010

Mushroom Crostini

Photo 005smSometimes desperation leads you to the most wonderful discoveries. This little snack, which I needed to tide my Mom and I over while our dinner was cooking, was exactly that… perfect, desperation-fueled satisfaction.

You can put just about anything on a little piece of toast, pat yourself on the back and call it a “crostini.” (Some Italian nonna is ready to smack me for that comment, I’m sure.) I guess that the crostini is just a happy little snack for me and I don’t stress too much about what finds its way atop the bread. I don’t think you should either.



Mushroom Crostini


Ingredients:
Mushrooms… whatever you have. I usually have little crimini mushrooms but have also used white button mushrooms to good result.
A clove or two of garlic
Olive oil (and a smidge of butter.. ideally both)
Some sort of earthy herb or blend. I love love love my herbes de provence and am petrified of my ever-diminishing stock disappearing completely.
Salt and pepper
1/4 cup of milk
Bread

Variation to the Ingredients:
1 teaspoon of dijon mustard
Fresh bocconcini

All that I did was this… Chopped up the mushrooms. I had about 3/4 of a carton of mushrooms (so roughly 300g), so I chopped them all. Melt the small pat of butter a pan with an equally small drizzle of olive oil (again, it helps prevent the butter from burning).

Photo 002sm

Add your garlic and let it perfume your kitchen. Toss in your mushrooms. Saute until the mushrooms are cooked. Add in your milk and season to your taste with herbs (de provence, thyme… whatever you like), salt and pepper. If you are going to use the dijon, add it at this point too. Cook together. The milk frees up all the tasty bits from the bottom of the pan and almost comes together as a gravy.

Photo 003sm
Serve the mushrooms, toasts and bocconcini on a platter to be dished up by each person as slowly or quickly as their hunger demands.

Photo 001sm
****
Cookin’ music… Sheryl Crow ~ Detours

0 thought(s):

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails