Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Ridiculous Burgers… The Blue Burger

Photo 004 2sm
Who doesn’t like a good burger? I mean, really, who doesn’t like a good burger? I like a good burger. If you don’t, then move on… this isn’t for you.

I can picture the burgers that my dad used to make… ground beef, ketchup, sometimes worchestershire, onions, bread crumbs, egg, salt and pepper… Easy, simple, good. I have made those burgers without thinking. My mind following a recipe card that was never written.

These burgers are a bit different. I seem to get an idea for one thing (cook, enjoy, finish), then am left with bits and pieces of ingredients that I need to repurpose. I think that the launching pad for these burgers were bits of blue cheese and bits of basil left in my fridge, fast approaching their expirations. So, the blue cheese became the start of one burger… and the basil, the start of another.



Blue Burgers**
**I am half tempted to come up with some schticky name for these burgers after realizing that the key ingredients are: B-eef, B-lue cheese, B-acon and B-alsamic vinegar. Yep. Awesome. And now I don’t even have to go there because your mind already has.
 
Ingredients:
1 pound (454g) ground beef
4-6 strips of bacon, chopped
4 tablespoons (~60g+) creamy blue cheese
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 egg
2-4 tablespoons bread crumbs
Salt and pepper

Photo 002sm
Chop your bacon. Break up the blue cheese into small bits. Add bacon, cheese, balsamic and egg (and salt and pepper) to the groundPhoto 004sm blue beef. Slowly add the bread crumbs and mix together. You need to make sure that the patties are not so dry that they fall apart on the grill. So, watch the consistency of the meat as you add the bread crumbs. Form into four patties.

Make sure that your grill is good and hot. Med-High heat. Place burgers on the grill… you might as well start salivating right now. :P Grill for about 3-4 minutes on one side, then flip and continue cooking for another 3-4 minutes. I seem to make thicker patties, rather than thinner, wide ones… so mine need that ~8+ minutes. If your patties are thinner, adjust your cooking time accordingly.

I topped my burgers with caramelized onion, maybe another chunk or two of blue cheese, and a scant smear of mayonnaise on the bun… probably more to stop the juices from the burger making the bun entirely soggy.

With juice dripping down your arm and a big grin on your face, eat every last morsel.

Next up will be the Italian inspired burger…

2 thought(s):

Unknown said...

Gosh, every time I read your blog, I come away starving. Do your burgers fall apart when you cook them? Mine do, for some reason. Maybe I put too many onions in them.

wannafoodie said...

hahahah. Thanks, Morgan! Do you use an egg? You need balance binding the ingredients together with fat absorpton... so start with the egg to make things more sticky, then slowly add the bread crumbs to help with the fat, make things less sticky but keep everything bound togeter.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails